Joanna Geary speaking at the news:rewired conferenceCredit: By John Thompson. All rights reserved.
In a tweet today, Lewis Wiltshire, the new director of media at Twitter UK, confirmed Geary's appointment.
digital-first strategy. Prior to the Guardian Geary was at The Times, where she was communities editor.
She also founded Hacks/Hackers London, a monthly meetup group of journalists, developers, designers and others interested in technology in journalism, which now has around 2,000 members.
Her appointment to Twitter comes nearly five months after Simon Rogers, a former Guardian colleague of Geary's, moved to Twitter in San Francisco, to become its first data editor.
Free daily newsletter
- #newsrw: How to follow along with the latest newsrewired event
- The Guardian's latest virtual reality experience shows viewers what life in the UK is like for asylum seekers
- Tip: Hiring in your newsroom? Here's what you should bear in mind
- Tip: Remember these pointers to find relevant sources in your area
- Announcing the agenda for July’s newsrewired