Joanna Geary speaking at the news:rewired conferenceCredit: By John Thompson. All rights reserved.
In a tweet today, Lewis Wiltshire, the new director of media at Twitter UK, confirmed Geary's appointment.
digital-first strategy. Prior to the Guardian Geary was at The Times, where she was communities editor.
She also founded Hacks/Hackers London, a monthly meetup group of journalists, developers, designers and others interested in technology in journalism, which now has around 2,000 members.
Her appointment to Twitter comes nearly five months after Simon Rogers, a former Guardian colleague of Geary's, moved to Twitter in San Francisco, to become its first data editor.
Free daily newsletter
- Throwback Thursday: Online comments, Twitter for breaking news, and experimenting with voice-to-text
- Tip: Refresh your social media strategy with this advice
- #newsrw: How to follow along with today's newsrewired event
- Advice from 24 news organisations to help you tailor your story pitches
- Through VR project The Party, the Guardian is giving viewers an insight into living with autism