Joanna Geary speaking at the news:rewired conferenceCredit: By John Thompson. All rights reserved.
In a tweet today, Lewis Wiltshire, the new director of media at Twitter UK, confirmed Geary's appointment.
digital-first strategy. Prior to the Guardian Geary was at The Times, where she was communities editor.
She also founded Hacks/Hackers London, a monthly meetup group of journalists, developers, designers and others interested in technology in journalism, which now has around 2,000 members.
Her appointment to Twitter comes nearly five months after Simon Rogers, a former Guardian colleague of Geary's, moved to Twitter in San Francisco, to become its first data editor.
Free daily newsletter
- 5 Slack communities for journalists to share ideas and collaborate
- 3 takeaways about audience engagement from #ONALondon
- 5 iOS apps for adding subtitles and graphics to your social videos
- Tip: Bookmark this handy guide to posting on Twitter
- 'The only constant is change' – Q&A with Twitter's Mark Little