Joanna Geary speaking at the news:rewired conferenceCredit: By John Thompson. All rights reserved.
In a tweet today, Lewis Wiltshire, the new director of media at Twitter UK, confirmed Geary's appointment.
digital-first strategy. Prior to the Guardian Geary was at The Times, where she was communities editor.
She also founded Hacks/Hackers London, a monthly meetup group of journalists, developers, designers and others interested in technology in journalism, which now has around 2,000 members.
Her appointment to Twitter comes nearly five months after Simon Rogers, a former Guardian colleague of Geary's, moved to Twitter in San Francisco, to become its first data editor.
Free daily newsletter
- Engaging local community through solutions journalism and digitising newspaper archives for voice search
- Tip: Five must-follow career strategies for digital journalists
- Financial Times launches a 'Story Playbook' to help journalists tailor content for digital readers
- Trust in news, membership models and Gen Z: here is your weekly journalism update
- How can the traditional media cut it with Gen Z?