Joanna Geary speaking at the news:rewired conferenceCredit: By John Thompson. All rights reserved.
The Guardian's social and communities editor Joanna Geary will join Twitter UK later this year as a news partnership manager, working to help media outlets use the platform effectively.
In a tweet today, Lewis Wiltshire, the new director of media at Twitter UK, confirmed Geary's appointment.
digital-first strategy. Prior to the Guardian Geary was at The Times, where she was communities editor.
She also founded Hacks/Hackers London, a monthly meetup group of journalists, developers, designers and others interested in technology in journalism, which now has around 2,000 members.
Her appointment to Twitter comes nearly five months after Simon Rogers, a former Guardian colleague of Geary's, moved to Twitter in San Francisco, to become its first data editor.
Free daily newsletter
- Five key takeaways from the UK select committee on the future of news
- Standing out in a crowded market: what makes a top news podcast?
- Fact-based journalism is under attack. What can we do about it?
- Guardian launches a new section for readers in Europe
- 15 online communities for journalists you should know about