Joanna Geary speaking at the news:rewired conferenceCredit: By John Thompson. All rights reserved.
In a tweet today, Lewis Wiltshire, the new director of media at Twitter UK, confirmed Geary's appointment.
digital-first strategy. Prior to the Guardian Geary was at The Times, where she was communities editor.
She also founded Hacks/Hackers London, a monthly meetup group of journalists, developers, designers and others interested in technology in journalism, which now has around 2,000 members.
Her appointment to Twitter comes nearly five months after Simon Rogers, a former Guardian colleague of Geary's, moved to Twitter in San Francisco, to become its first data editor.
Free daily newsletter
- The Guardian relaunches its documentaries section to feature longer films
- How news organisations are collaborating to cover the US elections
- The Guardian is 'putting the interactive back into interactive journalism' with RioRun
- Tip: Here's how highlighting your archives can help improve your metrics
- Inside The Quint: The Indian media start-up getting news to younger audiences on mobile