Joanna Geary speaking at the news:rewired conferenceCredit: By John Thompson. All rights reserved.
In a tweet today, Lewis Wiltshire, the new director of media at Twitter UK, confirmed Geary's appointment.
digital-first strategy. Prior to the Guardian Geary was at The Times, where she was communities editor.
She also founded Hacks/Hackers London, a monthly meetup group of journalists, developers, designers and others interested in technology in journalism, which now has around 2,000 members.
Her appointment to Twitter comes nearly five months after Simon Rogers, a former Guardian colleague of Geary's, moved to Twitter in San Francisco, to become its first data editor.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Advice for reporting news on Twitter
- 3 things fact-checking Brexit taught me about journalism
- Mobile journalism experts to follow on Twitter
- Key insights into today's digital news consumption from latest RISJ report
- Kristen Taylor, audience development specialist and former Serial community editor, to give keynote speech at July’s newsrewired