Joanna Geary speaking at the news:rewired conferenceCredit: By John Thompson. All rights reserved.
In a tweet today, Lewis Wiltshire, the new director of media at Twitter UK, confirmed Geary's appointment.
digital-first strategy. Prior to the Guardian Geary was at The Times, where she was communities editor.
She also founded Hacks/Hackers London, a monthly meetup group of journalists, developers, designers and others interested in technology in journalism, which now has around 2,000 members.
Her appointment to Twitter comes nearly five months after Simon Rogers, a former Guardian colleague of Geary's, moved to Twitter in San Francisco, to become its first data editor.
Free daily newsletter
- Latest virtual reality project from the Guardian lets viewers experience the first year of life
- New, year-long project from the Guardian documents knife crime in the UK
- The Guardian is reaching new audiences on Facebook with video series for people who dip in and out of news
- RTÉ is producing a new video series for Facebook using only mobile devices
- Tool for journalists: Trends24, for monitoring popular topics on Twitter