Joanna Geary speaking at the news:rewired conferenceCredit: By John Thompson. All rights reserved.
In a tweet today, Lewis Wiltshire, the new director of media at Twitter UK, confirmed Geary's appointment.
digital-first strategy. Prior to the Guardian Geary was at The Times, where she was communities editor.
She also founded Hacks/Hackers London, a monthly meetup group of journalists, developers, designers and others interested in technology in journalism, which now has around 2,000 members.
Her appointment to Twitter comes nearly five months after Simon Rogers, a former Guardian colleague of Geary's, moved to Twitter in San Francisco, to become its first data editor.
Free daily newsletter
- With AM to DM, BuzzFeed brings the morning news show to Twitter
- 6 types of collaborations between news organisations and their benefits and challenges
- The Trace is working to close the gaps in public understanding of everyday gun violence in the US
- Tip: How to keep your Twitter profile out of trouble
- Tip: Check out this list of tools for creating social media posts