Joanna Geary speaking at the news:rewired conferenceCredit: By John Thompson. All rights reserved.
In a tweet today, Lewis Wiltshire, the new director of media at Twitter UK, confirmed Geary's appointment.
digital-first strategy. Prior to the Guardian Geary was at The Times, where she was communities editor.
She also founded Hacks/Hackers London, a monthly meetup group of journalists, developers, designers and others interested in technology in journalism, which now has around 2,000 members.
Her appointment to Twitter comes nearly five months after Simon Rogers, a former Guardian colleague of Geary's, moved to Twitter in San Francisco, to become its first data editor.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Advice for managing your news organisation's Twitter account
- How BBC News is experimenting with Instagram Stories to engage younger audiences
- The Guardian is taking audiences into London’s Victorian sewers with new virtual reality experience
- Tip: Follow this Twitter list for journalism students
- Advice from 10 news organisations to help you tailor your story pitches