Schnieders, who was formerly SEO manager for Yell.com, will head up the site's overall SEO strategy, a release from the publisher said.
His move to Mail Online earlier this month follows the appointment of James Bromley, who was recently named general manager of the site.
The website was ranked as the most popular UK newspaper website in May with 18,712,533 unique users, according to figures from the Audit Bureau of Circulations Electronic (ABCe).
Free daily newsletter
- How can London-based media organisations leverage talent outside the capital?
- 10 ways Journalism.co.uk can help you smash your 2019 career goals
- The magazine market isn’t dead, it’s different
- ABC: Big drops in web traffic to UK titles in February
- New NRS figures show mobile focus bearing fruit at Mirror