The newly appointed editors are Colin Grant, editor-in-chief, Iliffe News and Media East; Mike Sassi, editor-in-chief, Sentinel News and Media and Damian Bates, editor, Aberdeen’s Evening Express.
They replace Adrian Faber, editor of Wolverhampton's Express and Star; Doug Melloy, editor of the Rotherham and South Yorkshire Advertiser and David Pollington, former editor of Dundee's the Sunday Post.
"Colin Grant, Mike Sassi and Damian Bates represent the best traditions of the regional press and their experience will be invaluable in maintaining a code that commands respect both inside and outside the industry. I'm very pleased to have them on board," said code committee chair and Daily Mail editor, Paul Dacre.
At the end of last year Guardian editor Alan Rusbridger resigned from the committee following its handling of allegations of phone hacking at the News of the World.
Two more members of the Editors' Committee from national newspapers will be announced at a later date.
Free daily newsletter
- ABC releases online traffic stats for local newspaper websites
- Local World aims to be 'one-stop shop for local content'
- ABC: All regional news groups record rises in web traffic
- 'Very strong public mood' for 'strict' press regulation, finds poll
- Jack Straw: Self-regulation defies principles of justice