Contributions from writers, photographers and videographers will feature on Yahoo's news, finance and sports pages, as well as the site's main homepage. The new Yahoo Contributor Network is a "completely retooled" evolution of Associated Content which Yahoo acquired in May this year, according to a press release.
"The new platform invites all Yahoo users to become a part of the Yahoo experience by sharing their perspectives and expertise, and also lets Yahoo editors quickly and efficiently assign and select crowdsourced contributions for all of Yahoo's media properties."
The Associated Content from Yahoo will continue to serve as the official digital library for all content generated by the Yahoo Contributor Network.
The new network will also set performance payment guidelines for content featured on the site.
Also in Yahoo news, the site's new blog network, The Upshot, announced the launch of three news blogs on media, politics and national affairs.
The Upshot, which launched in July, will now act as a portal to the top posts at the three new sites; The Ticket which looks at American politics, The Lookout breaking down the big national stories and The Cutline discussing the national media.
Free daily newsletter
- New community journalism project uses innovative storytelling to highlight the plight of insecure work
- App for journalists: MyScoop, for commissioning mobile and citizen journalism
- "This is what local journalism should really look like"
- Mobile journalism legend Yusuf Omar is joining Newsrewired
- World News Day: Misinformation, mobile journalism and mental health