The use of drones by individuals and even some media companies is limited by a number of factors: the eagerness to embrace new technology, potential lack of financial resources, heavy legal implications and concerns around privacy, to name just a few.
In this podcast we speak to John Mills, lecturer and researcher at UCLan's Media Innovation Studio and its Civic Drone Centre, about the potential for drones, or unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), in journalism, looking at how news outlets have used this technology and what else they could be doing.
Free daily newsletter
- How journalists can help audiences understand the news
- USA Today uses augmented reality to dive deeper into topical news stories
- Optimising Tweetdeck and digital doorstepping: dos and don'ts of social media reporting
- Half of publishers bet on reader revenue as their main income stream in 2020
- What will the next decade look like for journalism?