The use of drones by individuals and even some media companies is limited by a number of factors: the eagerness to embrace new technology, potential lack of financial resources, heavy legal implications and concerns around privacy, to name just a few.
In this podcast we speak to John Mills, lecturer and researcher at UCLan's Media Innovation Studio and its Civic Drone Centre, about the potential for drones, or unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), in journalism, looking at how news outlets have used this technology and what else they could be doing.
Free daily newsletter
- World News Day: Misinformation, mobile journalism and mental health
- Six tips to improve the audio quality of your podcast
- How to get your next podcast commissioned
- Weekly journalism news update: citizen journalism, tackling misinformation and Google algorithms
- New grassroots group aims to bridge the gap between tech and newsrooms