The use of drones by individuals and even some media companies is limited by a number of factors: the eagerness to embrace new technology, potential lack of financial resources, heavy legal implications and concerns around privacy, to name just a few.
In this podcast we speak to John Mills, lecturer and researcher at UCLan's Media Innovation Studio and its Civic Drone Centre, about the potential for drones, or unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), in journalism, looking at how news outlets have used this technology and what else they could be doing.
Free daily newsletter
- The Times employs an AI-powered 'digital butler' JAMES to serve personalised news
- BuzzFeed UK launches #What2Watch live programme on Twitter
- Cairncross: innovation in local newsrooms cannot wait any longer
- Call for Views: UK media invited to shape code of practice on data protection in journalism
- What makes social audiences click and read your article?