The use of drones by individuals and even some media companies is limited by a number of factors: the eagerness to embrace new technology, potential lack of financial resources, heavy legal implications and concerns around privacy, to name just a few.
In this podcast we speak to John Mills, lecturer and researcher at UCLan's Media Innovation Studio and its Civic Drone Centre, about the potential for drones, or unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), in journalism, looking at how news outlets have used this technology and what else they could be doing.
Free daily newsletter
- London university offers journalism students an opportunity to kick-start their innovation startups
- Newsrewired March 2019: seven main takeaways
- BBC Local News Partnerships: how breaking out of the London bubble can strengthen the news agenda
- Advertorial: PUBLIQ offers publishers a fair revenue distribution model and helps fight media censorship
- How Neue Zürcher Zeitung increased its conversion rate up to five times with dynamic ‘paygates’