The use of drones by individuals and even some media companies is limited by a number of factors: the eagerness to embrace new technology, potential lack of financial resources, heavy legal implications and concerns around privacy, to name just a few.
In this podcast we speak to John Mills, lecturer and researcher at UCLan's Media Innovation Studio and its Civic Drone Centre, about the potential for drones, or unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), in journalism, looking at how news outlets have used this technology and what else they could be doing.
Free daily newsletter
- Tool for journalists: INJECT, for finding unexpected new angles for your stories
- How Bloomberg Media's innovation hub designs news services focused on audience needs
- BBC takes audiences up the Congo River in latest virtual reality experience
- UK journalists too influenced by the tech industry when reporting on artificial intelligence
- Newsrooms must learn how to use AI: "Trust in journalism is at stake"