The use of drones by individuals and even some media companies is limited by a number of factors: the eagerness to embrace new technology, potential lack of financial resources, heavy legal implications and concerns around privacy, to name just a few.
In this podcast we speak to John Mills, lecturer and researcher at UCLan's Media Innovation Studio and its Civic Drone Centre, about the potential for drones, or unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), in journalism, looking at how news outlets have used this technology and what else they could be doing.
Free daily newsletter
- The Outriders launches a 'Pimp My Ride'-style transformation scheme for media organisations
- How can we improve the love-hate relationship between Google and news publishers?
- Value My News to help UK-based hyperlocal publishers monetise content
- Voice for the voiceless: smartphones are the weapon of choice to tell stories from Syrian civil war
- How BBC Good Food used voice search analytics to cook up its first Alexa skill