In late September, The Independent launched a new tier to their subscription model: Independent Minds.
As newsrooms continue to ask how to make money from journalism, in this week’s podcast we speak to editor Christian Broughton about why the Independent Minds is not your standard paywall.
He discusses why a tiered subscription service based on brand loyalty and exclusive perks is the way forward, and what lessons from past subscription models have been factored into this one.
Interesting in adapting your news organisation business model? Or are you considering memberships? Both topics are on the agenda for our upcoming Newsrewired conference on 7 November at Reuters, Canary Wharf, London.
Free daily newsletter
- What does audience engagement really mean?
- US local news industry is shifting from adverts to reader revenue model in search of sustainability
- Cairncross: 'Experimental’ funding models will teach news publishers what readers are prepared to pay for
- JPIMedia steps up its mobile-first strategy with a new i newspaper app
- Disinformation, distrust, disengagement: how can we reinvent journalism?