In late September, The Independent launched a new tier to their subscription model: Independent Minds.
As newsrooms continue to ask how to make money from journalism, in this week’s podcast we speak to editor Christian Broughton about why the Independent Minds is not your standard paywall.
He discusses why a tiered subscription service based on brand loyalty and exclusive perks is the way forward, and what lessons from past subscription models have been factored into this one.
Interesting in adapting your news organisation business model? Or are you considering memberships? Both topics are on the agenda for our upcoming Newsrewired conference on 7 November at Reuters, Canary Wharf, London.
Free daily newsletter
- Nine journalism podcasts to help you get through the pandemic
- Christmas special: Dávid Tvrdoň, columnist for The Fix Media, on highlights of 2021
- By dropping its paywall for a day, the FT lost out on subscriptions but found new, engaged audience
- Innovation in journalism: two media start-ups booming despite challenges
- Styli Charalambous, CEO of The Daily Maverick, on pay-what-you-can membership models