In late September, The Independent launched a new tier to their subscription model: Independent Minds.
As newsrooms continue to ask how to make money from journalism, in this week’s podcast we speak to editor Christian Broughton about why the Independent Minds is not your standard paywall.
He discusses why a tiered subscription service based on brand loyalty and exclusive perks is the way forward, and what lessons from past subscription models have been factored into this one.
Interesting in adapting your news organisation business model? Or are you considering memberships? Both topics are on the agenda for our upcoming Newsrewired conference on 7 November at Reuters, Canary Wharf, London.
Free daily newsletter
- Six new journalism podcasts to help you get through the pandemic
- 2020 challenge: retain new subscribers in a post-pandemic world
- Digital News Report 2020: covid-19 accelerates digital shifts in the media industry
- What will determine the survival of local news?
- Danny Lein and Dana Nastase of Twipe on creating habit-forming news products