"While a stunning photo or video will catch your audience’s eyes, a well-written and clever caption can hold their attention," writes Gabriele Boland, analyst and content strategist at NewsWhip.
Boland put together a list of five recommendations for catchy Instagram captions, based on a NewsWhip analysis of the top 25 media publishers on the social media platform.
The average amount of words per caption was 33, while publishers with descriptions of more than 100 words used them to add context and quotes, as well as to credit the photographer or to tag the subject of a visual.
Captions can also be used to encourage your audience to actively do something, such as tagging a friend, answering a question in the comments or reading a story linked in your profile's bio.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Check out this list of newsletters about data journalism
- Tip: Use this search engine for US public records
- Tip: Bookmark this advice for local newsrooms to keep up with digital practices
- Tip: Remember these guidelines for good data journalism
- Tip: Check out this list of tools for creating social media posts