"While a stunning photo or video will catch your audience’s eyes, a well-written and clever caption can hold their attention," writes Gabriele Boland, analyst and content strategist at NewsWhip.
Boland put together a list of five recommendations for catchy Instagram captions, based on a NewsWhip analysis of the top 25 media publishers on the social media platform.
The average amount of words per caption was 33, while publishers with descriptions of more than 100 words used them to add context and quotes, as well as to credit the photographer or to tag the subject of a visual.
Captions can also be used to encourage your audience to actively do something, such as tagging a friend, answering a question in the comments or reading a story linked in your profile's bio.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Take note of this advice for collaborating on data journalism projects
- Tip: Bookmark these recommendations for creating 360-degree video
- Tip: How to set up a productive dialogue in a podcast without a host
- Tip: Advice for setting up new products and projects in the newsroom
- Tip: Check out these data and interactive journalism resources from NICAR 2018