But competing in the industry is more challenging for non-profit outlets, cooperatives or smaller publishers, who might not have an extensive staff or many resources at their disposal.
After visiting a dozen non-profit and for-profit news organisations, Poynter's Katie Hawkins-Gaar and Ren LaForme have put together a list of 25 suggestions that can benefit newsrooms of all sizes and serve as guidance in their reporting process.
Their recommendations include training your own employees on the job, rather than relying on external specialists; considering the benefits of collaborations and partnerships to increase exposure and thinking twice about investing money into expensive software, when there are so many less expensive or even free tools available on the market.
Free daily newsletter
- 4 approaches to building collaborative data infrastructures for journalism
- 17 universities teamed up to produce a six-hour newscast on solutions journalism
- The latest Global News Relay is tackling solutions journalism in 10 countries
- 3 fact-checking initiatives at Le Monde as the newsroom gears up for the French election
- Tip: Bookmark this list of data journalism resources from NICAR