If you’re thinking about becoming a freelance photojournalist, you’ve probably thought about the stories you’d most like to shoot, the places you’d like to visit, and the publications you’d like to pitch.
But how much do you know about the realities of freelancing, from the financials to what it’s like on the ground, and achieving a work life balance?
Get started by reading this Q&A with Adriane Ohanesian published by Mandla Chinula on IJNet, where Ohanesian, who has worked in South Sundan and Myanmar among other places, shares her take on success as a freelance photojournalist.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Bookmark these tools to save your digital work
- Tip: Take note of this advice for investigating large data leaks
- Tip: Use this card game to plan which storytelling elements your project should include
- Tip: Check out this advice for editing Instagram images within the app
- Tip: Here are seven questions to ask before choosing comics journalism as a format for your story