Chief William J. Bratton joined a lieutenant and other staff at America's third largest police force to begin writing the blog last week.
"I see the blog, which is first and foremost a department blog, as an opportunity to communicate with the public and educate them about what we are doing at the LAPD," Mr Bratton told the LA Times. "But I also see it as an opportunity for me to respond to those issues where I feel the department is being misrepresented."
Entries have so far included statements issued to press in the city and countering critical newspaper editorials. The force said the messages gave citizens "unfiltered" information.
Free daily newsletter
- Diversity helps media regain trust of young news audiences
- Your comment section is only as good as your editorial strategy
- Weekly journalism news update: artificial intelligence, podcast ad revenue and 'audience canvas'
- LA Times posts historic images on a new Instagram account to engage younger news audience
- The LA Times' revamped website aims to keep readers reading instead of waiting on webpages