Sarah Marshall, social media editor, EMEA at The Wall Street Journal, focuses on driving traffic to the publication via social media platforms, as well as producing content for the outlet's US audience on Snapchat Discover.
She emphasised the importance of being "publish-ready" when entering the industry and making sure your work is extremely accurate when posting stories to a considerable number of followers on social media.
As a lecturer at City University, Marshall teaches her students how to create visual stories that readers would want to share on platforms such as Snapchat, Instagram and Facebook, which will help them increase their chances of employment in today's fast changing industry.
Watch our full interview with Marshall below.
Additional footage of Snapchat Discover by The Wall Street Journal
Check out the other videos in our 'So you want to be a... ?' series on our YouTube channel.
If you'd like more tips on how to enter a particular niche within the journalism industry, tweet us @journalismnews.
Free daily newsletter
- How to take a 360-degree photo within your Facebook app
- How NowThis coordinated social media and field reporting to safely cover a week-long protest
- Advice from Facebook for reaching wider audiences after the latest newsfeed updates
- App for journalists: Adobe Spark Video, for creating social videos on the go
- How The Economist engages young audiences on Snapchat Discover