Sarah Marshall, social media editor, EMEA at The Wall Street Journal, focuses on driving traffic to the publication via social media platforms, as well as producing content for the outlet's US audience on Snapchat Discover.
She emphasised the importance of being "publish-ready" when entering the industry and making sure your work is extremely accurate when posting stories to a considerable number of followers on social media.
As a lecturer at City University, Marshall teaches her students how to create visual stories that readers would want to share on platforms such as Snapchat, Instagram and Facebook, which will help them increase their chances of employment in today's fast changing industry.
Watch our full interview with Marshall below.
Additional footage of Snapchat Discover by The Wall Street Journal
Check out the other videos in our 'So you want to be a... ?' series on our YouTube channel.
If you'd like more tips on how to enter a particular niche within the journalism industry, tweet us @journalismnews.
Free daily newsletter
- How to source user-generated content legally with Lobster
- Tip: Here's what you need to know before your first Facebook Live
- 'People like to know they're being heard’: Facebook Live at NowThis
- How CNN is recreating the #Rio2016 experience for audiences on social media
- 'We are fearless in experimentation and we move quickly': Facebook Live at CBC News