However, journalists in this field are able to be extremely creative and get to see more of the world than the average holiday-goer.
Lottie Gross, web editor at Rough Guides, says those who are looking to break into the specialism should be resilient and determined – having both a passion for travel and writing simply isn't enough to be successful.
As well as an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the travel industry, Gross says that journalists should be "able to travel under their own means" to secure commissions from different publications.
Watch the full interview with Lottie Gross below.
View the video and our previous interviews in our 'So you want to be a... ?' series on our YouTube account.
If you'd like more tips on how to enter a particular niche within the journalism industry, tweet us @journalismnews.
Free daily newsletter
- Making data stories more personal: Highlights from Data Journalism UK
- How journalism students helped on the Panama Papers investigation
- Get with the program: The benefits of coding skills in the newsroom
- Advice from FT and WSJ for getting started with interactive graphics
- Tip: Bookmark this advice to improve your writing