Solutions journalism, also known as constructive journalism, is the method of investigating solutions to problems, rather than solely reporting on the issues themselves.
It is thought to not only engage audiences, but also to change the way news consumers think and feel about the world, by empowering them to understand how problems can be tackled more effectively.
This week's guests are:
- Samantha McCann, network curator, Solutions Journalism Network
- Mary Hockaday, controller, BBC World Service English
- Seán Dagan Wood, editor-in-chief, Positive News
Free daily newsletter
- How the BBC is using Hearken for crowd-powered journalism
- Fresh approaches to the role of journalism at local titles in the Pacific Northwest
- With a tool called Amplify, the Reveal podcast is tapping into listeners' desire to dig deeper into stories
- New platform Gather aims to connect and support journalists working in community engagement
- The Trace is working to close the gaps in public understanding of everyday gun violence in the US