To capture the raw experience of women's lives from around the world, she also sent out disposable cameras to document what motherhood is like in different countries.
Another project saw her asking teenage girls to send personalised diary entries to detail their everyday lives naturally and intimately, without having to talk to a journalist.
Find out what are the payoffs and pitfalls of this approach and how to pitch a similar project to your editor if you feel inspired.
Free daily newsletter
- Weekly journalism news update: education, audience engagement and expert sound design
- What more can newsrooms do to tackle the issue of social mobility?
- Solutions photojournalism: “If you can capture all the problems with a photo, why can’t you capture the solutions?"
- The Sista Collective: a BBC podcast that puts BAME women at the heart of key conversations
- Can TikTok save journalism? The Washington Post is set to find out