To capture the raw experience of women's lives from around the world, she also sent out disposable cameras to document what motherhood is like in different countries.
Another project saw her asking teenage girls to send personalised diary entries to detail their everyday lives naturally and intimately, without having to talk to a journalist.
Find out what are the payoffs and pitfalls of this approach and how to pitch a similar project to your editor if you feel inspired.
Free daily newsletter
- Can TikTok save journalism? The Washington Post is set to find out
- CNN launches Facebook-funded mobile-first daily news show 'Go There'
- Weekly journalism news update: LinkedIn, female representation and digital security
- UK legacy media still struggles to give women a voice (but is getting better at it)
- Weekly journalism news update: transcription app, journalism students and storytelling