To capture the raw experience of women's lives from around the world, she also sent out disposable cameras to document what motherhood is like in different countries.
Another project saw her asking teenage girls to send personalised diary entries to detail their everyday lives naturally and intimately, without having to talk to a journalist.
Find out what are the payoffs and pitfalls of this approach and how to pitch a similar project to your editor if you feel inspired.
Free daily newsletter
- The value of mentorship opportunities - and where to find (some of) them
- What skills will journalists need in 2020?
- Words By Women returns in protest of gender imbalance at the British Journalism Awards
- Reuters Connect partners with seven more national news agencies to localise its international coverage
- How to use design thinking to solve journalistic problems