There is an ever-growing list of tools available to help data journalists, but working with data can still be daunting.
Collecting, cleaning and interpreting data is a big task, but that shouldn't put you off – there is a lot of information on the web to guide you as you master the various skills, just like this article by Alastair Otter at Media Hack.
He uses images and videos to explain the data journalism basics, including document organisation and collaboration, analysing and visualising data, and maps and mapping.
Free daily newsletter
- In the UK, data journalism and investigations are getting more local
- Tip: Open this data journalism advent calendar throughout December
- Tip: Check out these recommendations for improving your data visualisations
- 10 key principles for data-driven storytelling
- Tip: Take note of this advice for investigating large data leaks