There is an ever-growing list of tools available to help data journalists, but working with data can still be daunting.
Collecting, cleaning and interpreting data is a big task, but that shouldn't put you off – there is a lot of information on the web to guide you as you master the various skills, just like this article by Alastair Otter at Media Hack.
He uses images and videos to explain the data journalism basics, including document organisation and collaboration, analysing and visualising data, and maps and mapping.
Free daily newsletter
- In 2010, women were 'significantly underrepresented and misrepresented' in the media. Where are we now?
- Tip: Check out these books on journalism and writing
- Tip: Check out this list of newsletters about data journalism
- Tip: Remember these guidelines for good data journalism
- BBC opens applications for regional titles to take in reporters as part of the Local News Partnership