There is an ever-growing list of tools available to help data journalists, but working with data can still be daunting.
Collecting, cleaning and interpreting data is a big task, but that shouldn't put you off – there is a lot of information on the web to guide you as you master the various skills, just like this article by Alastair Otter at Media Hack.
He uses images and videos to explain the data journalism basics, including document organisation and collaboration, analysing and visualising data, and maps and mapping.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Check out this advice for improving your use of drone technology
- Tip: Bookmark this advice for doing investigative journalism in the age of Trump
- Tip: How to succeed on social without agonising over metrics
- Tip: 3 ways to deliver complex information through imagery
- Tip: Take note of this advice for covering protests safely