There is an ever-growing list of tools available to help data journalists, but working with data can still be daunting.
Collecting, cleaning and interpreting data is a big task, but that shouldn't put you off – there is a lot of information on the web to guide you as you master the various skills, just like this article by Alastair Otter at Media Hack.
He uses images and videos to explain the data journalism basics, including document organisation and collaboration, analysing and visualising data, and maps and mapping.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Just starting out? Take note of this advice for the basics of writing good content
- Need to catch up? Here's your weekly journalism news update
- Data journalists, unite! How data journalism is evolving in Brazil
- Tip: Advice for tackling gender imbalance in news media
- Data sharing is caring: BBC boosts local news output through its Shared Data Unit