And when articles automatically include a photo and a brief summary of the news story on Twitter or Facebook these are usually extracted from a system of tags called Open Graph.
However, these meta tags are fully customisable and can be edited within the HTML of individual articles.
This guide by Storybench explains how you can personalise the title, description and image URL for Facebook posts and Twitter cards by editing the code or by downloading a WordPress plug-in that automatically generates the tags for you.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Try these 10 new investigative tools
- Tip: 12 tools for reporting on hurricanes and other disasters
- Tip: Looking to teach journalism online? Check out this advice
- Tip: Speed up your workflow with the ultimate cheatsheet for Wordpress keyboard shortcuts
- Tip: Use this advice for interviewing children