And when articles automatically include a photo and a brief summary of the news story on Twitter or Facebook these are usually extracted from a system of tags called Open Graph.
However, these meta tags are fully customisable and can be edited within the HTML of individual articles.
This guide by Storybench explains how you can personalise the title, description and image URL for Facebook posts and Twitter cards by editing the code or by downloading a WordPress plug-in that automatically generates the tags for you.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Bookmark these recommendations for creating 360-degree video
- Tip: How to set up a productive dialogue in a podcast without a host
- Tip: Advice for setting up new products and projects in the newsroom
- Tip: Check out these data and interactive journalism resources from NICAR 2018
- Tip: Bookmark these ways to be diverse and inclusive in your reporting