And when articles automatically include a photo and a brief summary of the news story on Twitter or Facebook these are usually extracted from a system of tags called Open Graph.
However, these meta tags are fully customisable and can be edited within the HTML of individual articles.
This guide by Storybench explains how you can personalise the title, description and image URL for Facebook posts and Twitter cards by editing the code or by downloading a WordPress plug-in that automatically generates the tags for you.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Use this guide to get started as a freelancer abroad
- Tip: Remember this advice for submitting FOI requests
- Tip: Check out these 8 opportunities for journalists to apply for at the beginning of 2018
- Tip: Here's how to get started with data journalism
- Tip: Bookmark these pitching recommendations for photojournalists