And when articles automatically include a photo and a brief summary of the news story on Twitter or Facebook these are usually extracted from a system of tags called Open Graph.
However, these meta tags are fully customisable and can be edited within the HTML of individual articles.
This guide by Storybench explains how you can personalise the title, description and image URL for Facebook posts and Twitter cards by editing the code or by downloading a WordPress plug-in that automatically generates the tags for you.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Are you a podcaster? Check out these Facebook groups and podcasts for advice and support
- Tip: Learn the best practices for adding text to social videos
- Tip: How to use SEO tactics to maximise audience growth
- Tip: Check out these recommendations before bringing podcasting into the classroom
- Developing a sense of togetherness: Tips for tackling sexual harassment in the newsroom