Fact-checking can be a difficult task, especially if the journalist doing is is under pressure with deadlines.
To help you better handle politician's claims in your reporting, Peter Cunliffe-Jones, executive director of Africa Check, shared 10 tips in this article on Poynter's Fact-Checking Day blog.
He outlines the steps reporters should follow when fact-checking claims, from finding reliable sources to being careful how the final fact-check is presented to the public.
Free daily newsletter
- Emotion and identity: Why journalists should cover the wider context behind memes
- Tip: Bookmark these tools for collaborating on investigative projects
- Tip: How to make the most of editorial newsletters
- Tip: Remember these recommendations for foreign correspondents
- Tip: Advice for journalists using Instagram Stories