Fact-checking can be a difficult task, especially if the journalist doing is is under pressure with deadlines.
To help you better handle politician's claims in your reporting, Peter Cunliffe-Jones, executive director of Africa Check, shared 10 tips in this article on Poynter's Fact-Checking Day blog.
He outlines the steps reporters should follow when fact-checking claims, from finding reliable sources to being careful how the final fact-check is presented to the public.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Take note of this advice for investigating large data leaks
- Tip: Use this card game to plan which storytelling elements your project should include
- Tip: Check out this advice for editing Instagram images within the app
- Tip: Here are seven questions to ask before choosing comics journalism as a format for your story
- Tip: Here's how journalists can protect their work online