Fact-checking can be a difficult task, especially if the journalist doing is is under pressure with deadlines.
To help you better handle politician's claims in your reporting, Peter Cunliffe-Jones, executive director of Africa Check, shared 10 tips in this article on Poynter's Fact-Checking Day blog.
He outlines the steps reporters should follow when fact-checking claims, from finding reliable sources to being careful how the final fact-check is presented to the public.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: How to get the most out of your smartphone camera when taking pictures at night
- Journalism versus lies and fake news: Time for a rethink
- Keep calm and carry on fact-checking: Challenges and reasons to be cheerful
- Tip: How to prevent female reporters from becoming targets of abuse on social media
- Tip: 3 ways to make your headlines stand out on social media