Freelancing can be tough, but there are plenty of people out there who have experienced the same issues you have and have overcome them to go on to have successful careers.
Check out this collated advice from a recent IJNet Live chat about all things freelancing, with international freelancers Mridu Khullar Relph, Jacob Kushner, Olivia Crellin and Farahnaz Mohammed.
The professionals answered questions about designing a website, finding freelance opportunities, developing pitches, collaborating with fellow freelancers and more.
Their advice also includes how to negotiate payment, an issue all of us have faced at one time or another, made even more difficult when wanting to write for a publication that doesn’t have the budget.
“I personally don't recommend writing for free. I feel there are far better ways of getting work,” said Relph. “If it helps you get the first clip or so, great. But generally speaking, as a practice, it's not a good strategy, in my opinion, and often doesn't lead to paying work from the client.”
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Here are seven tools for better fact-checking
- Tip: Just starting out? Take note of this advice for the basics of writing good content
- 10 portfolio and publishing platforms for freelancers
- Tip: Advice for tackling gender imbalance in news media
- Tip: Check out this advice for working with restricted access