Writers and managers from publications such as the Los Angeles Times, Conde Nast Entertainment and BuzzFeed News share their top tips on how to wow in the workplace as an intern.
Working out the office culture is a must for digital graphics producer CJ Sinner from The (Minneapolis) Star Tribune, who recommends being super observant in the first few days or weeks to work out what is socially acceptable in the workplace. This helps navigate issues such as ‘who do I pitch an idea to’ and ‘do I eat lunch at my desk?’
Alex Laughlin, audio producer at BuzzFeed News, advises keeping a list of tasks and skills you have acquired during your work experience or internship. These can then be added to your CV and/or LinkedIn.
Other tips include taking your editor out for coffee to ask them what they look for in a new recruit and push yourself to work on projects outside what is assigned to you.
Free daily newsletter
- 10 portfolio and publishing platforms for freelancers
- Tip: Bookmark this advice for writing stronger headlines
- No filter: The importance of light when you're taking photos with your smartphone
- PressPad aims to help diversify media by offering free accommodation for London's unpaid interns
- Tip: Check out this advice for launching a media startup