Transcribing interviews is a task most journalists have to deal with on a daily basis. It can take a few minutes if you are only extracting key quotes for a piece, but it can also be a lengthier process if your transcription is intended for subtitles, for example.
To speed up the process, check out this list of 28 transcription tools on Medium, compiled by Jeremy Caplan, director of education at the Tow-Knight Center for Entrepreneurial Journalism.
His collection includes tools for manual transcription, such as oTranscribe; automated services with different pricing plans; as well as apps and tools for recording a call, dictating and even hiring a freelancer to transcribe your audio for you.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Check out this list of newsletters about data journalism
- Tip: Use this search engine for US public records
- Tip: Bookmark this advice for local newsrooms to keep up with digital practices
- Tip: Remember these guidelines for good data journalism
- Tip: Check out this list of tools for creating social media posts