Transcribing interviews is a task most journalists have to deal with on a daily basis. It can take a few minutes if you are only extracting key quotes for a piece, but it can also be a lengthier process if your transcription is intended for subtitles, for example.
To speed up the process, check out this list of 28 transcription tools on Medium, compiled by Jeremy Caplan, director of education at the Tow-Knight Center for Entrepreneurial Journalism.
His collection includes tools for manual transcription, such as oTranscribe; automated services with different pricing plans; as well as apps and tools for recording a call, dictating and even hiring a freelancer to transcribe your audio for you.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: 3 ways to make your voice sound better on air
- Tip: Are you a podcaster? Check out these Facebook groups and podcasts for advice and support
- Tip: Learn the best practices for adding text to social videos
- Tool for journalists: InterviewJS, for turning interviews into interactive chats
- Tip: How to use SEO tactics to maximise audience growth