Transcribing interviews is a task most journalists have to deal with on a daily basis. It can take a few minutes if you are only extracting key quotes for a piece, but it can also be a lengthier process if your transcription is intended for subtitles, for example.
To speed up the process, check out this list of 28 transcription tools on Medium, compiled by Jeremy Caplan, director of education at the Tow-Knight Center for Entrepreneurial Journalism.
His collection includes tools for manual transcription, such as oTranscribe; automated services with different pricing plans; as well as apps and tools for recording a call, dictating and even hiring a freelancer to transcribe your audio for you.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Take note of this advice for investigating large data leaks
- Tip: Use this card game to plan which storytelling elements your project should include
- Tip: Check out this advice for editing Instagram images within the app
- Tip: Here are seven questions to ask before choosing comics journalism as a format for your story
- Tip: Here's how journalists can protect their work online