Transcribing interviews is a task most journalists have to deal with on a daily basis. It can take a few minutes if you are only extracting key quotes for a piece, but it can also be a lengthier process if your transcription is intended for subtitles, for example.
To speed up the process, check out this list of 28 transcription tools on Medium, compiled by Jeremy Caplan, director of education at the Tow-Knight Center for Entrepreneurial Journalism.
His collection includes tools for manual transcription, such as oTranscribe; automated services with different pricing plans; as well as apps and tools for recording a call, dictating and even hiring a freelancer to transcribe your audio for you.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Bookmark these tools for collaborating on investigative projects
- BBC World Service and NRK are collaborating on an investigative podcast series
- Using its Amplify tool, Reveal sent podcast and radio listeners personalised information via SMS
- Tip: How to make the most of editorial newsletters
- Tip: Remember these recommendations for foreign correspondents