Transcribing interviews is a task most journalists have to deal with on a daily basis. It can take a few minutes if you are only extracting key quotes for a piece, but it can also be a lengthier process if your transcription is intended for subtitles, for example.
To speed up the process, check out this list of 28 transcription tools on Medium, compiled by Jeremy Caplan, director of education at the Tow-Knight Center for Entrepreneurial Journalism.
His collection includes tools for manual transcription, such as oTranscribe; automated services with different pricing plans; as well as apps and tools for recording a call, dictating and even hiring a freelancer to transcribe your audio for you.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Remember these pointers for building communities using Facebook groups
- Tip: Recommendations for working with inconsistent data
- Tip: Advice for making events a part of your newsroom's engagement strategy
- Speakers from Quartz and NOA join newsrewired in March to discuss news on voice devices
- Tool for journalists: Flourish, for creating data visualisations without coding