Structuring your story format beyond text can be a difficult task, especially if you’re not sure which multimedia elements to include and which to leave out.
Tristan Ferne, executive producer at BBC Research & Development, outlined 12 types of online stories and the strengths of each format with handy practical examples, in this post on Medium.
Find out when and how it’s more beneficial to use short form or vertical video for example, when longform scrollytelling can be the way to go, how personalised news works, and when a chatty tone (with or without a bot) can be appropriate.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Advice for setting up new products and projects in the newsroom
- Tip: Check out these data and interactive journalism resources from NICAR 2018
- Tip: Bookmark these ways to be diverse and inclusive in your reporting
- Tip: How to get started with data journalism in a small newsroom
- Tip: Check out this budgeting advice for freelance journalists