Ms Freeland joined the FT in 1994 as UK news editor and later became Moscow bureau chief and correspondent for Eastern Europe.
She has also worked as editor of the weekend section and as editor of FT.com, leading the introduction of the site's paid subscription service in May 2001.
Ms Freeland studied at Harvard University and Oxford University, and she was awarded the business journalist of the year awards 2004 for her FT magazine profile of Mikhail Khodorkovsky.
More news from journalism.co.uk:
Martin Dickson announced as FT deputy editor
Robert Shrimsley now news editor at FT
FT.com names new leader
New recruit at FT.com
Q&A: Tracy Corrigan, former editor of FT.com
- Freeland takes editorial control of Thomson Reuters digital news
- Times appoints David Wighton associate editor, business and politics
- Ryan King appointed editor of Play magazine
- Matt Hill appointed deputy editor of technology magazine T3
- Mark McLaughlin appointed PA political reporter, Scottish parliament