What is it? Trends24 shows you the top trending topics on Twitter worldwide or in certain countries or cities, which you can view as hourly lists or trend clouds.
How is it of use to journalists? Monitoring social media is now part of most journalists' jobs to a certain extent, and sometimes even the single most important task during a journalist's shift.
There is no shortage of tools available to help you monitor social networks and search based on keywords, hashtags, or locations, and their cost varies.
We have written about a number of them on Journalism.co.uk in the past.
Trends24 lists the top trending topics on Twitter every hour, and displays this information in lists that can be accessed on a per country or per city basis, as well as providing a worldwide version of the lists.
You can change the location of the lists displayed by using the menu in the top left-hand corner of the page. Clicking on each trending topic takes you to the respective Twitter page, so you can see the associated posts and accounts.
The tool allows journalists to check which hashtags are trending in certain parts of the world and keep an eye on emerging trends, as well as offering a look back over the previous 24 hours that can be difficult to verify using Twitter alone.
The dashboard's functional layout displays the trending topics without any bells and whistles, although advertising is present in between the columns at times.
Not every country and large city in the world is monitored either, but for those that are, Trends24 offers a good snapshot of the conversations keeping Twitter users busy at any given time.
Free daily newsletter
- Tool for journalists: Fader, for producing 360-degree videos on your computer
- Tool for journalists: FOIA Predictor, for estimating the success rate of a Freedom of Information request in the US
- Tip: Here's how to share interview excerpts with Quotables
- For its first Facebook community, Bloomberg brought readers together to talk about personal finance
- How to use data.world to collaborate on projects and datasets